Alocrom plating is a chrome conversion coating used to plate aluminium and increase corrosion resistance. It creates a pre-paint finish and good adhesion qualities. There’s many benefits to Alocrom which include:
- Corrosion resistance
- Excellent paint and power bonds
- Can withstand heat after coating
- Can self-heal if scratched
- Low electrical resistance
However, alocrom plating is not suitable for decorative effects as a change in colour may occur.
What can alocrom plating be applied to?
Alocrom is chemically applied to aluminium. Here’s a type of Alocrom:
- Alocrom 1200 is also ideal for protection against corrosion to both unpainted and painted aluminium. It forms a protective golden coloured chromate coating on aluminium and alloys and has a more visible colour change.
What is the alocrom plating process?
Alocrom plating is applied by dip or spray washer to give a uniform coating.
The aluminium will be thoroughly cleaned to remove all oil, grease and oxide coatings. It is then dipped into the alocrom solution, and after 1 – 5 minutes the coating will show up as a golden yellow. It is then rinsed with clean water and dried.
What is alocrom plating used for?
Alocrom plating is mostly always used as a pre-paint treatment and for increasing corrosion resistance, making it ideal for coating aluminium and high silicon pressure die-castings. It is used for:
- Tools within general industrial work
- Electrical components
- Household appliances
- Car parts
- Aerospace components